Benefits of Having a Professional Roof Inspection to Assess Storm Damage
Why Hiring A Professional Roof Inspector is Important
After a severe storm hits, your home can be left vulnerable to potential damage. One area that requires immediate attention and assessment is your roof. Storm damage can compromise the integrity of your roof, leading to leaks, water damage, and further complications. That's why it's essential to have a professional roof inspection conducted as soon as possible to properly assess the extent of the damage and take the necessary steps to restore your roof's functionality. In this blog post, we will dive into the benefits of having a professional roof inspection after a storm, how the process works, and why it's important to have your roof inspected periodically.
What to Do After a Storm Hits Your Home
When a storm hits and you suspect that your roof may have sustained damage, it is necessary to take action and examine your home. If the damage goes untouched for a long period of time, it could have harsh repercussions. Here are the steps to follow:
- Prioritize Safety: Ensure the safety of yourself and your family members by staying away from damaged areas of your home until a professional inspection can be performed. Be cautious of falling debris, loose power lines, or unstable structures.
- Contact a Storm Guard Professional: Locally owned and operated, Storm Guard professionals provide quality roofing repair and inspections. All products that are used are from the top-rated manufacturers that are installed by highly trained teams with 20+ years of experience and
- Document the Damage: Take photos or videos of storm-related damage to your property. Documentation will serve as evidence for insurance claims and assist Storm Guard in assessing the extent of the damage.
- Temporary Repairs: If there are immediate concerns about leaks or water infiltration, you can make temporary repairs such as placing a tarp over the affected area to prevent further damage. However, it's important to note that temporary repairs are not a substitute for professional inspection and permanent repairs.
How a Roof Inspection Works
A professional roof inspection is a systematic evaluation of your roof's condition by trained experts. It involves a thorough examination of all roofing components to identify any storm-related damage and assess the overall health of the roof. Here's an overview of the process:
- Roof Exterior Inspection: The roofing professional will begin by inspecting the exterior of your roof, checking for visible signs of damage such as missing or damaged shingles, dents, cracks, or other signs of impact. They will also examine the condition of the flashing, gutters, and downspouts.
- Detailed Documentation: Throughout the inspection, the roofing professional will document their findings, taking photographs and notes to provide a comprehensive report. This report will serve as evidence for insurance purposes and guide the next steps in the restoration process.
- Repair Recommendations: Based on the inspection findings, the roofing professional will provide you with a detailed assessment of the damage and recommend necessary repairs. They will explain the repairs needed to address any issues and restore the roof's functionality and structural integrity. Storm Guard does not cut corners and provides accurate and honest numbers to you.
The Benefits of a Professional Roof Inspection
Having a professional roof inspection after a storm offers several benefits:
- Early Detection and Prevention: A thorough inspection allows for the early detection of storm damage, ensuring that any issues are addressed promptly. Timely repairs can prevent further damage from occurring and save you from costly repairs down the line.
- Maximize Insurance Claims: The detailed inspection report prepared by professionals serves as evidence for insurance claims. Insurance companies often require proper documentation to justify the cost and extent of repairs needed. With a professional inspection report in hand, you can maximize your chances of getting a fair settlement.
- Longevity of Your Roof: Regular professional inspections can help identify maintenance needs and address potential issues before they worsen. By staying proactive, you can extend the lifespan of your roof and avoid unnecessary repairs or premature replacement.
How Often Should You Have Your Roof Inspected?
While post-storm inspections are crucial, it's also recommended to have regular roof inspections by professionals even when no visible damage is present. The frequency at which you should have your roof inspected will depend on several factors, including the age of your roof, weather conditions in your area, and the specific type of roofing material. As a general guideline, it is recommended to have your roof inspected at least once every two to three years. However, if you live in an area prone to severe weather events or have an older roof, more frequent inspections may be necessary.
By adhering to a regular inspection schedule, you can identify minor issues before they turn into costly repairs or replacement projects. Additionally, routine maintenance and timely repairs can help maximize the lifespan of your roof and ensure its ongoing functionality.
Storm Guard can provide a professional roof inspection to provide you with information about your roof’s health and next steps. Schedule one today to ensure your peace of mind and protect your investment in your home.